SPUG: while question

Peter Darley pdarley at kinesis-cem.com
Tue Sep 16 12:09:14 CDT 2003

Folks,
	I have yet another stupid question:

	I regularly get data out of a DBI statement handle by doing:

while ($MyData = $sth->fetchrow())
{
	stuff
}

	This falls down when the data returned from the statement is '0', since
it's not true, and the while breaks.  I've tried while (defined $MyData =
$sth->fetchrow()), but this is not syntacticly correct, and would break on a
database NULL (which is undef in perl) anway.  I can do something like while
($MyRef = $sth->fetchrow_hashref()) {$MyData = $$MyRef{datapoint}; stuff},
but I'm not too fond of that.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a better way
to construct this loop?

Thanks,
Peter Darley