SPUG: "Illiad" spkg to GSLUG 9/13

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Fri Sep 12 13:42:09 CDT 2003

The next Greater Seattle Linux User Group (GSLUG) meeting will be on
Saturday, September 13th. It starts promptly at 10:00 a.m. at the
North Seattle Community College Campus.  For directions, agenda, and
lecturer bios, please visit the GSLUG monthly meetings web page at:

	http://www.gslug.org/meeting.html

The lecture subjects will be:

10:00 AM: "Content Wars: Fighting the Gatekeepers", by special guest JD
 "Illiad" Frazer, cartoonist and proprietor of the User Friendly web
 comic strip.

	http://www.userfriendly.org/

  J.D. uses UserFriendly.org as a case study of not only why, but how, the
  traditional content distributors should be fought tooth and nail, given
  the advent of the Net. He explains the harsh realities of doing business
  as a content creator and covers both the upside and downside of the medium
  that we rely on for much of our information and entertainment.

11:15 AM: "The Linux Boot Process", by Jeremy C. Reed, open source
columnist,
  developer, and trainer.

	http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/

  This lecture will cover the Linux boot process, starting with the Linux
  System V init process (the parent of all processes) and the various
  System V-style resource control (RC) scripts. It will include examples
  of common inittab configurations, the ordering of startup scripts and
  their application to different runlevels. It will also address examples
  of various Unix startup scripts.  If you have any questions about the
  boot process, or examples to suggest for the presentation, feel free
  to discuss them with Jeremy ahead of time (reed at reedmedia.net).

Also, as this meeting is likely to draw a larger-than-normal crowd,
anyone interested in exchanging PGP keys is encouraged to bring copies
of their keyid/fingerprint to the meeting for an informal key exchange.

Please feel free to forward this announcement as appropriate. To ensure
that you receive future GSLUG announcements.  Please join the
GSLUG-Announce list at:

You are also cordially invited to join the general discussion list at:

A message board alternative may be found at:

	http://msgboard.gslug.org/

And a fledgling wiki site at:

	http://wiki.gslug.org/

The GSLUG Crew

-------------------------

NOTE: The overall GSLUG meeting schedule is as follows:

 10:00 AM	Lecture #1

 11:00 AM	Break

 11:10 AM	Raffle Quiz

 11:15 AM	Lecture #2

 12:15 AM	Break

 12:30 PM	Raffle prizes giveaway

 12:35 PM	GSLUG Announcements
		Announcements from attendees
 		Request for assistance

 1:00 PM-ish	Formal meeting is adjourned, 'help/gab' session begins

		* Informal PGP key signing
		* Attendees can help those who requested assistance
		* Install fest/assistance
		* Talking, chatting, blathering, etc, etc

 4:00 PM	End of meeting

--

-Tim