SPUG: html->pdf conversion?

O'neil, Jerome joneil at cobaltgroup.com
Wed Oct 22 13:18:01 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:22:25AM -0700, O'neil, Jerome wrote:
>> Have you thought about using the OpenOffice API's to do this?  Version
1.1
>> reads and writes PDF.
>
>> -Jerome

> *What API?*  Tell me more!

This one:
http://download.services.openoffice.org/ooo/dev_docs/source/sdk/index.html

I've just discovered it myself three days ago, so my experience is fairly
limited, but my initial impressions are that it's fantastalicious.  The
documentation is verbose (900 page developer guide!), and rich with
examples.  I've yet to work through an example that didn't execute as
advertised.

The SDK API's are described through an IDL, so they are language
independent.  They provide bindings for Java, OOBasic, and C++.  You get
object representations of all the OO stuff, including draw, spreadsheet, and
document.   While there isn't a Perl language binding, I'm sure someone,
somewhere could provide an XS implementation over the C++ stuff.  <hint>

I'm using it to put together a digital Foucault tester for telescope
mirrors, and have found it quite nice.

Who knew?!

-Jerome

This e-mail transmission contains information intended only for the use of
the recipient(s) named above. Further, it contains information that may be
privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and
then delete this message from your mail system. Thank you for your
compliance.