SPUG: Looking for info on developing programming language parser / lint program

david.ward at philips.com david.ward at philips.com
Tue Nov 25 13:03:34 CST 2003

Can anyone give me any recommendations as to books, module documentation,
etc that might be helpful on the construction of programming language
parsers and / or lint programs?

I've got to write something that is less than a compiler but more than a
lint program for libraries of test functions which are written in a
C'ish-styled test tool's scripting language.  I've already created a set
of PERL programs that extract information from the library function
headers and declarations to produce a web-server based documentation of
the testware, but I'd like to extend (or replace) it with something to
provide more information (dependencies, possible return codes, nesting
levels, global constant & variable usage, etc) as well as some level of
"lint" checking.  The lint checking is especially desirable because the
test tool's own compiler doesn't detect a number of errors and has
absolutely no warning mechanism for potentially bad usage either.

I've written a parser/compiler once, a long time ago, but it was written
in FORTH and was for a very specialized (read narrowly focused)
programming language of my own creation, so it was relatively trivial to
implement.    I don't mind reading source code (and have been looking at
some PERL modules such as the syntax highlighter, etc), but I was hoping
there might be something slightly more toward architecture or
implementation design of parsers/lint programs than what I've found so
far.

Thanks!
Dave Ward