SPUG:help with good passwords

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Wed May 14 10:03:51 CDT 2003

> >Here's what I wrote years ago (still works)
>
> compile-time errors:
> - bail is not a function name
> - looks like you included the last half of a heredoc (ending in 'EOM')
> but forgot the operator to start the heredoc

Cut and paste errors - the script was much longer, I'm just giving
you the relevant bits.

> potential runtime errors:
> - /usr/sbin/crack_testlib doesn't exist on my system (is it supposed to?)

Yes, you'd need to have cracklib installed.  Very location dependent,
but this is where Debian installs it.

> use Inline C => <<'END_C';
>   #include <crack.h>
>   void test_pw(const char *pw, const char *dict_path)
>   {
>     char *msg;
>     msg = FascistCheck(pw, dict_path);
>     if (msg)
>       printf("MSG: %s\n", msg);
>     else
>       printf("Password accepted.\n");
>     return 0;
>   }
> END_C

Again, this requires the cracklib libraries are installed.  This is
probably a 'cleaner' solution, though scary for those who don't like
C.

--
Brian Hatch                  A Freudian slip is when
   Systems and                you say one thing but

Every message PGP signed