SPUG:Here documents

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Sat May 3 01:56:19 CDT 2003

Bill Campbell <bill at celestial.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:15:15PM -0700, Brian Hatch wrote:
> >I think I'll just stick with qq( ... ) -- I love '%' in vi,
> >and that'll mostly do what I need.
>
> That's why my shell scripts have funny comments #{ and #} on things like
> case and if statements

Intersting style.

I know that I'll *modify* my coding style if the cperl-mode of emacs
gets confused (yes, perl *is* the only thing that can parse Perl), but
I hadn't thought of *augmenting* my style based on an editor feature.

It always amazes me how primates use their tools, even the highly
evolved ones.

[...]

I heard that the Bourne shell, alghough written in (what was then a
new language) C, is littered with BEGIN/END pairs because he made
extensive use of the C preprocessor

#define BEGIN {
#define END }

Time warp back to the early 70's. Can you say groovy and source filter
at the same time?

CPP           ::== C Pre-Processor
Pre-Processor ::== Source Filter

--