SPUG:Mail::SpamAssassin

Aaron Salo aaron at activox.com
Mon Mar 24 09:06:38 CST 2003

After finally punting on the hassle of constantly updating "roll your own"
procmail recipes to kill spam, I've been trying out several alternatives.
FWIW I am very happy with Mail::SpamAssassin. I have it piping flagged spam
into a spambox rather than /dev/null so I can review what it kicks out.

So far, using the default configuration and scoring settings, since Sunday
morning:

Of more than 100 catches, every catch was spam.
Of the dozen or so messages it allowed through, not a single one was spam.

100% accuracy so far. Very impressive. Good documentation and very flexible
config if you want to tamper under the hood. Clever heurestics check.
Builds with a daemon (both  perl and c) if you prefer to let it hum all the
time rather than pipe each message to it. Does RBL checking, has ability to
auto-report to Razor, many other features. If you are getting tired of
maintaining your list of homemade procmail recipes, it's worth a try.

~!aaron