SPUG: auto-increment mixed alpha-numeric

Richard Wood wildwood_players at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 13:01:42 CST 2003

I have the need/desire to auto-increment a three
character scalar that may contain: all numerics, all
alphas, or mixed alpha-numeric.

auto-increment works fine for all alpha and all
numeric and in some cases with a mix of alpha-numerics
but not when a numeric precedes an alpha.  In those
cases I get two types of results.  (e.g. '1AA' becomes
2, 'A1A' becomes 1, then 2).

Anyone have a simple solution to this?  I will
continue to look around and try things but I thought I
would ask the community before any more time slipped
away.

Here is my test program and results:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@strings = qw(AAA AA8 A8A A98 118 18A 1A8 8AA);