SPUG:SqlHtmlRpt redux (nested/sequential queries)

Fred Morris m3047 at inwa.net
Mon Mar 10 00:51:34 CST 2003

Hello all,

Well nobody in Seattle was particularly interested in it the first time,
but I just finished a major (and yet backwards-compatible) enhancement to
SqlHtmlRpt.

This is a gizmo I wrote to use with my Calendar and Contacts app, and found
useful enough that I appropriated it for other purposes.. for which it
performed admirably.

But then I got wind of our own SPUG Town Crier's grand scheme of listing
any number of things maybe only vaguely related to Perl (I'm not saying I
really understand what his ultimate goal is, but this is what I make of
it), and I thought hey, the Calendar thingie would do really nice for this.
As I was working on a SPUG "face", I wanted "just a little bit more":

* I wanted to have more than one query on the same template.

* I wanted to have the ability to execute a query for each
  row returned in some other query.

So, that's what I spent the weekend working on.

The app in total isn't "free beer" software, but I have been handing out
SqlHtmlRpt to people who ask nicely and who come to the table with some
virtue; I'm hoping eventually I'll get some useful quantity of feedback and
who knows, maybe somebody will offer to package it for CPAN (or FreePAN)...
because I know I'll never get around to it on my own... I have better
things to do, like writing software, trying to earn a living, tilting at
windmills like "Pacific Northwest IT"...

The "SPUG Face" is a link off of here:

  http://216.173.211.39/calendar/pnwit/index.html

Definitely needs more substance. Somebody give the box a DNS entry, will ya?

--

Fred Morris
m3047 at inwa.net