SPUG:How to bundle images in PDF?

SPUG-list-owner tim at consultix-inc.com
Mon Jun 30 00:03:44 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 03:15:53PM -0700, Jay Scherrer wrote:
> I'm suprized to see you use anything but Perl while presenting
> Perl. I've been using PDF::Create for most all my PDFness. It
> helps to write PDF files on the fly (and works rather nice). If
> you check the perldoc's PDF::Create it provides for a media
> box, but I haven't used it yet.
> Jay

Well, there is a 3,000 line program I wrote
that's involved in creating my presentation slides
(http://teachmeperl.com/mg2mgp.html),  but I don't agree with
your logic, which according to my understanding, seems to
dictate that when I'm writing about UNIX, I should be limited
to using troff to create my presentations! 8-}

> On Saturday 28 June 2003 09:11 am, Tim Maher wrote:
> > SPUGgles,
> >
> > In order to package my conference slides
> > (http://teachmeperl.com/slides_03.html) more conveniently
> > for downloading, I'd like to be able to bundle the 30+ JPEGs
> > of each talk into a single PDF file.

<SNIP>

> > -Tim
> > P.S. Although I compose my presentations using a modified
> > Magicpoint system (see http://teachmeperl.com/mg2mgp.html),
> > and there is ostensibly a Magicpoint to PDF converter, it
> > rarely works. Although it can create working PDFs for small
> > or simple presentations, for my large and complicated ones,
> > the PDFs generate inscrutable errors ("/undefined", etc.) when
> > you try to view them, which is why I've given up on distributing
> > in that format.

(What I meant to say here is that I've given up on using mgp2pdf
to create PDF files of my slides from the original text files
that describe them. Instead, I'm now using mgp2html, which
reliably generates JPEGs of my slides, and I'm looking for a way
to bundle those into a PDF.)