SPUG: Are wikis hard to use?

Jay Gray jaygray at scn.org
Mon Jun 16 15:09:31 CDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun, 08:45:14, lynn wilkins <law at acm.org> said:

> After you install the Wiki what do I, a simple user, need
> to know to participate in the new forum?
> -law

As a reader, it works like a website: text, URLs, pictures. I'm not
far into the learning curve, but it looks like a very simple HTML
dialect -- bold, underline, italic, and auto-recognition of HTTP://.
Wiki adds to this one special widget: [phoo-bhar] -- this, when
clicked, takes the reader to the 'phoo-bhar' wiki page. Simple

To learn how to write wiki pages is easy (I figured it out in
around an hour, and I spent a lot of time reading the docs).

Look at http://kwiki.llamacard.org/. These are the links:

LlamaWiki ------> the default wiki page
RecentChanges --> last-entry first list of changed files
Preferences ----> Lets you tell (k)wiki what your name is
Search window

LlamaCard ------> link to http://llamacard.org. It's empty now, but when
                  we start authoring content / borrowing wiki pages, it'll
                  be interesting to read.

KwikiHelpIndex -> the kwiki help index... I spent time reading
through this, and picked up the rudimentary basics. It's really easy,
even if you're not an author of scary CPAN modules (i.e. Ingy).

Hope this helps.

Jay Gray,
Llama herder