SPUG:Talk change for Wednesday meeting

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRunningWolf at att.net
Tue Jun 10 16:45:27 CDT 2003

I have retained the "Regex" flavor, but will be *not* be speaking
about REdeparse.

Here is the new announcement for my segment of the evening's meeting:

Regular Expressions are powerful.
Regular Expressions are complex.
  And
Regular expressions can be simple, too.

When I teach Regular Expressions to programmers at Fortune 500
companies, I like to use a "Rosetta Stone" analogy, starting from a
language that we all know (English, data, written) and use that as a
stepping stone to a language we're learning -- Perl Regular
Expressions.

In keeping with "SPUG beginner night", I will introduce regular
expressions and show how some of them have been helpful to me. Apropos
of Rosetta Stone, I will show you a "Structured English" that you can
learn to translate from what you know into this new language.

This will be an interactive session, involving the expertise in the
audience, and soliciting problems (solved or unsolved) from the
audience that we can work together as an aid to learning this new
language called Regular Expressions.

    Perl is a language for getting your job done.
      -- Larry Wall

    What is your job?
      -- Michael Wolf

Really! Let's do some *real* work on *real* problems. Enough already
about phone numbers, zip codes, and URL's -- that's not what you need
to do on your real job.

Let's look at problems from your real job. If it involves data,
parsing, or scanning of data, please bring in the hard problems that
you haven't yet solved, and let's solve them together.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRunningWolf at att.net