SPUG: help with dynamic pdf forms

Jay Scherrer jay at scherrer.com
Tue Jul 15 10:52:51 CDT 2003

Alan,
This is exactly how we produce our tax forms using Practical Tax.
Can you use PostScript?
We had found that if we were to convert the form from PDF to PostScript and
anded our variables ($var) into the form entry point. If you play around with
your PostScript you'll find that your entries will be contained within  a set
of parenthisis "( )". Create a template that contains your variables within
those parenthisis. Then all you have to do is assign values to those $vars
and have Perl print the file.
This enabled us to parse print the .ps page through Perl. Basicly replacing
any ($var) with your inputed value. We had to extend it a little by creating
an XML file for our records allowing us to traverse the hash and replacing
the tagged entry with the matched $variable.

Jay

--
Personalized e-mail and domain names:
<http://netidentity.com/BI3CCYFM