SPUG: Stick Riddle

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Wed Jan 1 18:58:20 CST 2003

> In his college course, he came up with the answer of 50% probability. I
> wrote the attached Perl script to simulate this, and constently get 38%,
> assuming the second split is done on the larger piece.

Don't make assumptions.  Instead, use rand to generate two numbers
between 0 and 100, and have those be the 'break points'.  You then
determine the length of the three pieces from that.  See if that
gives you more accurate* results.

* for differing values of 'accurate'.

--
Brian Hatch                  Inside every old person
   Systems and                is a young person wondering

Every message PGP signed