SPUG:Re: Python and Doxygen

Joe Slagel slagel at geospiza.com
Thu Jan 23 12:45:53 CST 2003

Geoffrey & Kristin Grosenbach wrote:

> > Python even comes with a command to load a module and assemble all the
> > doc
> > strings from all the objects into something neat -- much like C++ and
> > doxygen. Compare this with having to assemble the documentation from
> > scratch
> > with perldoc. This saves a lot of typing if you want to go in later and
> > add
> > or clean up the documentation. You won't have to write out the
> > parameters to
> > the function, the base classes of your class, or anything like that.
>
> It is downright embarrassing that Perl claims to be the mother of all
> parsing languages, and yet cannot come up with a decent way to parse
> it's own code (yes, I know this is part of the purpose of Perl6). I've
> worked with doxygen and JavaDoc, and I would greatly benefit from such a
> system for Perl. In fact, I was talking with Tim about this at Colin's
> party.

Here at Geospiza, I have the same philosphy and problem with perl.  We've
actually had someone working on developing something for ourselves, but
we've really been thinking about open sourcing it.    The program we're
working on understands the difference between perl classes and cgi scripts,
uses a javadoc like style instead of POD, can output POD to use all of the
pod2* utilities, and does introspection on the class.  This tool isn't quite
finished yet, but if we can get some help on it we'll release it.

Another alternative is to use pdoc (http://pdoc.sourceforge.net/).

--
Joe Slagel
Geospiza, Inc.