SPUG:DOS / BASIC Script

September Nyang oro seppy at tanzatech.com
Fri Jan 17 11:02:47 CST 2003

SPUG-ers,

I got a job in DataStage that runs once per day. It basically gets raw
data from DB2, transforms it ( we do some calculations and other stuff
here), and then dumps the data into an Oracle. So that part works
perfectly.

We need to be able to archive this raw data from the DB2 source for 14
days just incase something happens to our jobs, so we could go back and
get that raw data from the archive and run it again. We're trying to
archive this data in a flat file in Windows NT. Right now when we run
the process we could only archive the raw data for 1 day. DataStage
could only 'overwrite' or 'append' to an existing file. But we want
separate files everyday.

The challenge: I need to write a script in Basic / DOS that would put a
timestamp in my jobs. Before it 'overwrites' yesterday's job in the
system when it writes today's job, it should move 'yesterday's job into
another directory/folder. And then keep that old job in the new folder
for 14 days. After 14 days that job should be deleted. So a script that
can perform those functions is something that would be useful to me.

So ideally, I'll need to have a script that runs first on the system,
moves the old file into the new directory, checks whether that new
directory has files older than 14 days, if so then delete the older-
than-14-days file(s). If no older than 14 days files are available,
then just finish.

Ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

../seppy