SPUG:My laptop has turned up - at MSFT!

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Wed Feb 19 19:26:06 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:44:35PM -0800, Tim Maher wrote:
>SPUGsters,
>
>I'm delighted to inform you that my laptop, along with the latest work on
>my Perl book and Perl modules (and the backup waiting to be transmitted
>over the phone line on the next boot!), has turned up.
>
>Microsoft's "lost and found", in Redmond, has it.  It was turned in by
>a janitor, who found it lying around in one of the auditoriums there.
>
>One obvious explanation of its travels would be that the person who
>stole it from me at the Dallas airport last week flew home on the same
>plane as me, eventually got tired of trying to guess my passwords to
>break into it, and ditched it at work.

And wasn't smart enough to get Tom's boot root disk, or other simple way of
booting a Linux box to get root access.

>Given the outrageous abuses I've suffered trying to get Microsoft to
>honor contractual commitments to my company (for Damian's services),
>and all the other evidence of their atrocities, I can't say I'm surprised
>at where it turned up.  But I'm sure glad it did! 8-}

At least you got it back.

>I guess my wife was right after all -- she said my laptop would come
>back to me, because of the gravitational pull of my good karma! 8-}

My wife left her laptop on the trunk of her car when her car pool arrived
at the north end of Boeing Field where they park.  A couple of days later,
somebody called her at work to say she might want the laptop she lost.  The
person lived within a mile of my wife's workplace -- Western State Hospital
in Stellacom, about 50 miles from where it was lost.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of
their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or
so incoherent that they cannot be understood.''
    -James Madison, Federalist Paper #62