SPUG:Child Processes

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Tue Feb 18 10:04:48 CST 2003

> I am trying to make the parent wait until all the children finish,
>  but other then the brute force method of looping thru watching the
> processes in the process list while looking for a key phrase I have
> not been able to make the parent wait for all the children to finish.

while ( wait() != -1 ) {
	# do nothing
}

wait() will block until a child finishes.  When there are no more
children, it returns -1.

If you've set up a SIGCHLD handler to automatically reap them, this
may not work.

> In Korn shell you can put in a wait statement after releasing the
> children and all is well, but perl does not seem to have a simple
> equivilent.

wait and waitpid are really all you need.  Both block (waitpid blocks
unless you use WNOHANG) so you're not going to sit in a busy wait.

--
Brian Hatch                  Bri: "Do you want to go
   Systems and                     get a steamed milk?"

Every message PGP signed