SPUG:Re: It's the sory, stupid

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Mon Feb 3 10:26:30 CST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:10:22AM -0800, Michael R. Wolf wrote:
> "Michael R. Wolf" <MichaelRunningWolf at att.net> writes:
>
> > 5. Stand to the left of the screen. People read left to right. They
> >    should start with you and move to the screen.

> Michael R. Wolf
>     All mammals learn by playing!
>         MichaelRunningWolf at att.net

That advice works a lot better for left-handers holding "teaching
sticks" (aka wooden pointers) than for right-handers, who will
have their pointing arm crossing over their bodies, which feels
unpleasant after a while.  Those using laser pointers would not be
inconvenienced this way, but IMHO a wiggly dot that looks like a
nervous neon mosquito is a lousy think to point with anyway.

Also, I don't buy the idea that the left-to-right reading order
should dictate where you stand.  It makes equally good sense to
me to say "they should start with the text, and end up with you,
the presenter" as the reverse. I've been standing on the right of
the screen for over two decades, with no apparent ill effects! 8-}

I'd lump this suggestion with that old saw about "tell them what
you'll tell them, then tell them, and then tell them what you told
them" as a quaint idea that should be given some consideration,
but not treated as gospel (or Camel, in our case).

-Tim
|  Tim Maher, CONSULTIX    (206) 781-UNIX    (866) DOC-PERL  |
|  CEO, JAWCAR ("Just Another White Camel Award Recipient")  |
|  tim at consultix-inc.com  teachmeunix.com  teachmeperl.com   |