SPUG: aliases, -> Korn Shell vs. PD-ksh

Richard Anderson richard at richard-anderson.org
Mon Feb 3 04:19:11 CST 2003

Here's an example of one of pdksh's design flaws:
#! /bin/ksh
dir=no
ls -1AF | while read file
do
   [[ $file = */ ]] && dir=yes
done
[[ $dir = yes ]] && print "Found directory"
This works with the 1988 and 1993 Korn shell, but not with any versions of
the public domain Korn shell.1 (There is a design flaw in pdksh that makes
it run the last command of a pipeline in a subshell, so when the loop
finishes the effect of resetting $dir is lost. Bash and the Bourne shell
also have this non-intuitive behavior.)

When I brought this to the attention of pdksh's maintainer, he insisted that
pdksh is right and ksh is wrong, in spite of the fact that pdksh is supposed
to be a public-domain implementation of ksh!

Regardless, pdksh is no longer being maintained.  Now that ksh93 is
available under the AT&T open-source license, the only reason to use pdksh
is laziness or compatibility with existing infrastructure.

Richard Anderson
richard at richard-anderson.org
www.richard-anderson.org
inm4taw