SPUG: Looking for info on developing programming language parser / lint program

david.ward at philips.com david.ward at philips.com
Mon Dec 15 11:57:00 CST 2003

Thanks for the pointer, ashamedly I'd never even heard of RedDescent.    I've only tried the demos and an extremely trivial "grammar" of my own so far, but it's quite apparent that this module will easily do all that I needed and more!  (besides, the
Abbott and Costello demo, besides being instructive, is quite a hoot!)

Also thanks to the kind folks for the book recommendations; while it doesn't appear I'll need it for this particular project, the recommendations were such that it's been added to my Santa's List,

Thanks again!
-Dave Ward

----- Message from Chris Wilkes <cwilkes-spug at ladro.com> on Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:16:06 -0800 -----

      To: spug-list at mail.pm.org

 Subject: Re: SPUG: Looking for info on developing programming language
          parser / lint program

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:03:34AM -0800, david.ward at philips.com wrote:
> Can anyone give me any recommendations as to books, module documentation,
> etc that might be helpful on the construction of programming language
> parsers and / or lint programs?

Have you looked into the perl module Parse::RecDescent?
http://search.cpan.org/src/DCONWAY/Parse-RecDescent-1.94/tutorial/tutorial.html
http://search.cpan.org/~tbone/Parse-RecDescent-FAQ-3.25/FAQ.pm

and from the FAQ:

http://www.urth.org/~metaperl/domains/semantic-elements.com/perl/prd/dans-blog/000235.html