SPUG:Best One-Liners and Scripts for UNIX

Cantrall, Christopher W christopher.w.cantrall at boeing.com
Thu Apr 17 15:38:10 CDT 2003

I occasionally copy code from perlmonks.org (there are special links to download code, but that isn't available on scratchpads).  The problem is that I have my preferences set to precede all code samples with line numbers, so code (or anything formatted like code) looks like this:

001: EXTERIOR: DAGOBAH--DAY
002:
003: With Yoda strapped to his back, Luke climbs up one of the
004: many thick vines that grow in the swamp until he reaches the
005: Dagobah statistics lab. Panting heavily, he continues his
006: exercises--grepping, installing new packages, logging in as
007: root, and writing replacements for two-year-old shell
008: scripts in Python.
009:
010: YODA:
011:    Code!  Yes.  A programmer's strength flows from code
012: maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more
013: than one way to do it... default variables. The dark side
014: of code maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to
015: join you when code you write.  If once you start down the
016: dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume
017: you it will.
018:
019: LUKE:
020:    Is Perl better than Python?
021:
022: YODA:
023:    No... no... no.  Quicker, easier, more seductive.
024:
025: LUKE:
026:    But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
027:
028: YODA:
029:    You will know.  When your code you try to read six months
030: from now.

Which isn't so bad for reading jokes, but tends to make code do funny things. Like fail to compile.

So I banged out this Llama-level number stripper:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my $filename = shift @ARGV;
open (FH, $filename) or die $!;
my @file = <FH>;
my @out;

push @out, "#!/usr/bin/perl\nuse strict;\n\n";
foreach my $line (@file) {
    $line =~ s/^\s*\d{3}:\s//;
    push @out, $line;
}
print @out;

It's the sort of thing I love about perl: solve a quick problem in a readable, maintable way.  And I don't need to add the she-bang line manually.

Christopher Cantrall
Structural Engineer, 767 Fuselage
  phone: 425-342-4131
    fax: 425-717-3174