SPUG: Remote process creation

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-spug at ladro.com
Wed Oct 9 17:34:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:51:28PM -0700, Jonathan Souza wrote:

> Win32::Process::Create($Process,$Program, $CommandLine, $Inherit, $Flags,
> $Directory);
>
> $Directory set to the remote machine, would this actually use the remote
> machine's processor and be independent of my local machine?
>
> or is it even simplier, by just changing to the working directory of the
> remote machine and using "system( some.exe )" after copying the file there?

What you're doing in this case is telling perl to run on your own
machine and use the files on a network share.   Its not going to use the
remote machine's CPU to do this.

I'm not sure if there is a Perl module for Win32 to run a process on a
remote machine but you can look into doing something along the lines of:

1) installing sshd on the remote machine, ssh into it and then run the
   program (no idea about this working in a Windows world)
2) have a perl program constantly running on the remote machine that
   looks for files in that directory and then springs to life when it
   sees it
3) setting up a crontab (I think that's an "at" job) on the remote
   machine to run the program periodically
4) same as #2 but send the program some sort of signal (ie telnet to a
   port on the box and enter in the magic word) to cause it to run
5) see if there is some sort of WinNT tools that allow you to run
   commands on a remote machine, like rsh.

Chris

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org