SPUG: Re: perl2exe perl-cgi file size problem

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Thu May 2 15:21:24 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:12:30PM -0700, Ken Clarke wrote:

> [...]

Modern browsers use ';' instead of '&' to separate parameters in the URL.
The [deleted] code sample would not handle that, so it may well fail to
just read text from a simple form input.

I'd strongly suggest using CGI.pm instead of any hand-rolled solution.
CGI.pm is incredibly robust, and correctly handles *all* properly
formatted HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1 requests, and runs correctly on platforms
with odd line endings, etc. If you absolutely feel that CGI.pm is too
bloated, then try CGI::Lite.

If you don't wish to take my word on it, read what Merlyn (Randal
Schwartz), Ovid, and Japhy have to say about it:

Merlyn on why to use CGI.pm:

Ovid on problems with alternatives to CGI.pm:

Japhy on the difficulties of parsing a CGI query:
http://www.crusoe.net/~jeffp/articles/ideas/CGI/3.html

Have fun, and keep using CGI.pm,
-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org