SPUG: perl2exe perl-cgi file size problem

Ryan Bark ryan.bark at pobox.com
Thu May 2 13:48:18 CDT 2002

Have you tried CGI::Minimal?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spug-list at pm.org [mailto:owner-spug-list at pm.org] On Behalf
Of Meryll Larkin
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 10:24 AM
To: SPUG List
Subject: SPUG: perl2exe perl-cgi file size problem

5/2/02

Hi SPUGsters,

I have a 14.5K perl-cgi script that generates a Web
page.  I want to put it on an IIS Server (stuck with
that for the moment) which is housing my domain.  This
server has a mock cgi-bin that will run perl2exe
files.

When I compile with perl2exe, the file bloats to
1016K.  When I realized it was compiling all of CGI.pm
(standard) into the exe, I stripped down the script to
use the minimim amount of CGI that I could.  The
script is now only using param from CGI, and all the
rest is Perl (including 3 function calls to
time)(mostly Perl printing complex HTML).  More than
300K is from CGIpm (still, even 700K is an enormous
Web file).

So, before I embark on a project more time consuming
than writing the original script, (wading through
CGI.pm to see if I could steal or adapt the param
method and embed it into my script) I wanted to ask:

Does anyone have any recommendations (other than
getting off the IIS - that's for later this year) for
me to try with my Perl script and perl2exe?

Thanks,
Meryll Larkin

http://health.yahoo.com

-
     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org
  Replace ACTION by subscribe or unsubscribe, EMAIL by your
Email-address  For daily traffic, use spug-list for LIST ;  for weekly,
spug-list-digest

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org