SPUG: Java, Perl, large-scale projects

Don Shanks me at donshanks.com
Fri Jun 14 19:01:02 CDT 2002

First of all, I never have and never intend to work for Cobalt group. I
do, however, know people who do. I will not go into the 'rumors' I have
heard. That said I have known several businesses or employees from those
business that have made the transition from PERL to Java. I myself
learned Java so I could port one of my x-company's apps from PERL to
Java. Myself and everyone I have talked to believe that moving from PERL
to Java is a slow and arduous process, not to mention ( any I only speak
of the apps I know of), a mistake. Even when the apps are written from
scratch, it takes much longer to get functionality back to the original
standard. Maybe throwing tons of money and developers at it will solve
those issues, but I have even heard of companies having to pay extra
developers to get it back to PERL before the bomb exploded.

Having programmed both, I can normally achieve my goal in less than half
the time if I use PERL. Plug-in apps are completely possible in PERL,
and using mod_perl gives you the ultimate control of the Apache server.

Having tried the rest, I'll stick with the best. PERL.

Don Shanks
Senior Applications Systems Engineer
Cell Systems Initiative - University of Washington
dshanks at u.washington.edu