SPUG: remote synchronization

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Tue Jun 11 17:40:16 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:43:42PM -0700, dancerboy wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any simple tools for doing file *synchronization*
> between directories on remote Unix boxes -- preferably using SSL
> connections?  The tools I am aware of are things like CVS that do way
> more than just file synchronization, and require way more setup
> hassle than I'm willing to commit to this right now.  I'm looking for
> a simple tool that would act sort of like scp, except would copy
> files in either direction depending on modification times.  E.g.,
> where I could type something like:
>
>   sync  /foo   remote.host.address:/bar

rsync is what you're looking for.  You can tunnel it through ssh
connections (which is what scp does).  In fact you probably already have
it installed and just didn't know it.

http://rsync.samba.org

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

We tend to see all wars through the lens of the current conflict, and we
mine history for lessons convenient to the present purpose.
- Brian Hayes

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org