SPUG: RE: SPUG Talk Topics?

Marc M. Adkins Marc.M.Adkins at Doorways.org
Thu Jul 25 13:40:18 CDT 2002

> When I've tried to broach the subject with folks since Damian's Perl 6
> class last week, reactions have ranged from passive interest... to averse
> disinterest ("Ick! It's sounds so different from Perl 5, we'll never have
> a reason to use it!").

I've been using the term Classic Perl for a while now...referring to Perl
5...vs. New Perl (Perl 6).  A conscious effort to remind people about the
New Coke debacle:  the end result of which was to validate the old recipe.
There _will_ be people who will reject Perl 6 for being too different and
want to stick with what already works.

Having attempted to follow the various Apocalypsii I must admit I'm
personally becoming seduced by the new features.  And there is such an
obvious (and documented) effort to _not_ break existing code or diverge too
much from "Perl as we know and love it."  I suspect I will be among the
group who embrace the new version.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

mma

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org