SPUG: RE: Simple program - gone wrong

Brian Maddux brianmaddux at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 12:56:15 CDT 2002

Try this:

#!/usr/bin/perl
open(RDIR,"./admin/data/rdir.txt");
opendir(DIR, "../");
@files = readdir(DIR);
$num = 1;
foreach $name (@files) {
  if(-d $name){
  }elsif($name eq "." || $name eq ".."){
  }else{
    print RDIR "$num | $name\n";
    $num++;
  }
close(RDIR);
close(DIR);
exit;

---------

You don't need the for loop, just a counter; print was
in the wrong form; and you forgot to open RDIR for
write.

Coding and colds do not mix well ;-) especially if you
know multiple languages and start mixing them up!

Hope this helps and you feel better....

Brian

--- Sweethomes <sweetsue at sweethomes.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this went through - resending:
>
>   Scratching my head over this one.  All I want is
> to read the upper
> directory, list out the files names and then print
> the results with
> numbering to a file.  Here is what I have:
>
>     #!/usr/bin/perl
>     open(RDIR,"./admin/data/rdir.txt");
>     opendir(DIR, "../");
>     @files = readdir(DIR);
>     for($num = 0; $num <= 100; $num += 1)
>     foreach $name (@files) {
>     if(-d $name){}elsif($name eq "." || $name eq
> ".."){}else{
>     print(RDIR, "$num | $name\n");}}
>     close(RDIR);
>     close(DIR);
>     exit;
>
>     I've got the worst headcold in my personal
> history and I'm thinking that
> my brain just is not functioning.  If anyone can
> clear this up for me, I'd
> appreciate it!
>     Happy 4th of July to all!
>
>     www.web-dev-design.com
>     ------------------------------------
>     Susanne Bullo, Developer     Web Dev Design
>     16646 SE 10th Street                Bellevue, WA
> 98008
>     Telephone: 425.562.6040         Facsimile:
> 425.671.0571

=====
Brian Maddux                    Whidbey Island, WA
brianmaddux at yahoo.com
                           **

http://sbc.yahoo.com

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org