SPUG: sendmail from Perl (quick newbie question)

dancerboy dancerboy at strangelight.com
Wed Feb 13 18:04:23 CST 2002

At 3:47 pm -0800 2/13/02, Ben Reser wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:29:00PM -0800, dancerboy wrote:
>>  I still find this behaviour of sendmail very odd, though...
>
>Not odd at all.  You're sending one message with multiple recipients.
>All the receipients were going to the same mx (machine).  So when the
>remote machine received it it resolved the aliases (virtusertable) saw
>it went ot the same user and only delivered it once.  Makes a lot of
>sense.  Saves on disk space.  And generally does what the receiving user
>wants anyway.  If somone sends a signle email to several of my addresses
>all at once I really don't need multiple copies of that email.

That's not what I meant.  I meant that it was odd that this happened
when using sendmail from a CGI script on a different server, but
*didn't* happen when sending from my desktop machine using Eudora.
Either behaviour makes sense.  The odd thing is that it isn't
consistent, and that the behaviour seems to depend on the *sending*
server (which has no way of knowing that all the recipients are the
same).

-jason

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org