SPUG: Meeting Announcements

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Tue Feb 12 20:06:59 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:13:11PM -0800, Tim Maher wrote:
> SPUGsters,
>
> Here's the list of upcoming meeting topics, through July. (Same info is now
> on the web site, seattleperl.org).
>
> Regarding next week's "Magazine/Lightning Talks" event, we can still
> accommodate another speaker or two, if any of you LURKERS out there want
> to come forward and participate for a change! 8-}
>
> Finally, those who do attend next week's meeting are advised that they'll
> get the most out of the talks by reading the indicated reference for
> each topic (see below), in preparation.
>
> -Tim
> P.S.  Anybody checked out the saltlake2002.com web site?  The "main guy"
> behind it is one of next week's speakers!

Well, at least behind the database that coordinated volunteers' by their
interests and abilities. ;-)

> "Perl's Flip-Flop Operator" and "Python for Perl Weenies"
>         Colin Meyer, Helvella
> 	Reference: man perlop; see "range operator"

That's one problem with the Perl documentation: scalar .. isn't the
range operator, it's the flip flop op! List context .. is the range
operator. Despite the similarity in syntax, it's much easier to think of
them as different ops.

see also: http://helvella.org/Bit::FlipFlop.html

Have fun,
-C.