A question of Style, was: SPUG: Sort an array question

Brian Hatch spug at ifokr.org
Fri Dec 27 14:26:12 CST 2002

> Much more often, your audience is "the maintenance programmer who
> inherits this code."  When writing to this audience, optimize for
> readability. Use descriptive (but not verbose) variable names, and
> comment the intent (not the mechanics) of your code.  Comments are most
> valuable when they capture the relevant information from the "sitting
> and thinking" process that Peter describes.  Comments should be clear,
> concise, and to the point.

If you write code that will be inherited by other netizens (say some
CPAN code) then a clear ability for others to understand is damned
important.

If you are writing code that is only used by your employer, then
increased obfuscation can lead to a good situation called "job security".

;-)

--
Brian Hatch                  They assigned blank.
   Systems and               So I read about blank.