SPUG:

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Mon Aug 26 20:52:47 CDT 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 03:16 pm, Baker, Stephen M wrote:
> I'm looking for the correct exit command for the following situation:
>
> Program A coninuously checks environment conditions and runs Program B as
> necessary.
>
> Each time Program B runs, it spawns multiple instances of program C.
>
> Eventually, Programs B and C complete execution, modify the environment,
> and Program A again notices changes and restarts the cycle.
>
> I have the program catching signal interrupts for exit purposes, but I
> don't know whether to go with a kill 9, an exit(?), or what.
>
> What I want to do when exit is called is kill all instances of programs A
> and B, but not any occurances of program C.

If program A is persistent (for instance, it sleeps between checking, and
doesn't need to be restarted each time to be checked), you can store program
B's pid in a list.

Set up the beginning of your program to say:

$SIG{TERM} = sub {
	map {kill "TERM", $_} @pids;
}

You'll also need to keep the list of pids current, but that is easily handled
through "waitpid" or just "wait", and $SIG{CHLD}. Look in the camel book for
more info on this.

The same thing we do with A and B applies for B and C as well.

If A is not persistent, you will have to store it in a file or make sure B is
done before you exit.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardn at alumni.washington.edu