SPUG: XML::Parser empty vs. "empty" tags

James Moore james at banshee.com
Sat Sep 15 21:54:47 CDT 2001

I won't claim to be an XML expert, but what you're saying doesn't really
fit with what I know.  My understanding is that the two cases are
supposed to be identical, and trying to distinguish between the two
isn't the right way to go.  Putting "xml represent null value" into
Google came up with lots of hits, the most promising of which seemed to
be (after only a few seconds of reading, so I could easily be off base):

http://www.adodb.com/xml_result.asp?xml_id=32

Jason Lamport wrote:

> Yet another XML::Parser question.  Is there any way, using
> XML::Parser, to differentiate between these two constructs:
>
>     <tag></tag>
>
> and
>
>     <tag />
>
> ?