SPUG: Version control white paper

Andrew Sweger andrew at sweger.net
Thu Oct 25 11:27:52 CDT 2001

I'm not sure if the inner workings of CVS would apply as well to versioned
database objects. The traditional inner workings of CVS are based on rcs
(co, ci), diff, and ed. Those man pages give some information on the
revision file format (all those *,v files in the repository). There is a
project working on building a replacement of CVS called subversion that
may change some of these internal semantics (maybe).

  http://subversion.tigris.org/

It goes way beyond CVS and trys to answer those, "Why can't CVS do this?,"
questions.

The method of database object versioning that I have seen involved using a
pair of columns (fields) to bracket the period for which a row (record) is
valid. Usually these are date/time fields. There are several strategies
depending on an applications needs. I can try to explain more separately
if your interested.

At one time PostgreSQL had built in support for record versioning that
permitted rolling back the state of the database with respect to time. I
think this may have been dropped in recent versions in lieu of
performance.

--
Andrew B. Sweger -- The great thing about multitasking is that several
                                things can go wrong at once.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org