SPUG: Perl Download Manager

Matt Tucker tuck at whistlingfish.net
Wed Nov 21 18:19:39 CST 2001

-- "Parr, Ryan" <Ryan.Parr at wwireless.com> spake thusly:

> I was always under the impression that downloads can be resumed only
> if it comes from an FTP site which supports resumable downloads.
> Perhaps your download manager should utilise Net::FTP as well which
> supports resumable downloads:

>From the HTTP/1.1 spec <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068>:

   The semantics of the GET method change to a "partial GET" if
   the request message includes a Range header field. A partial
   GET requests that only part of the entity be transferred, as
   described in section 14.36. The partial GET method is intended
   to reduce unnecessary network usage by allowing
   partially-retrieved entities to be completed without
   transferring data already held by the client.

In other words, it looks like it's possible to do resumes using HTTP. I
have no idea whether LWP supports this easily, but it shouldn't be
difficult to implement.