SPUG: Results of Work Space Survey

Richard Anderson starfire at zipcon.net
Mon Nov 19 17:10:47 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael R. Wolf" <MichaelRunningWolf at att.net>
To: "SPUG" <spug-list at pm.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: SPUG: Results of Work Space Survey

> I use white boards, stickeys, colored markers, and lots of
> other visuals to help solve a problem.  A standard desk doesn't let me
work.
> I get into a "thrashing" problem where I spend more time reshuffling my
> papers than I do putting work into the code.

I find white boards invaluable for software work of any kind, be it
requirements analysis, design, coding or whatever.  I'm surprised by the
number of work spaces I have seen that do not provide development teams with
this obvious resource.  Putting them out in the hallways encourages team
interaction better than having them in offices or meeting rooms.

A handy substitute is to use erasable dry markers on a window, but this is
not as legible and may be frowned upon for security or other reasons.

Cheers,
Richard

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org