SPUG: Why aren't they hiring?

Scott Blachowicz scott at sabmail.rresearch.com
Fri Nov 16 22:04:54 CST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 12:15:13PM -0800, James Moore wrote:
> And as for reducing the stress level in interviews, maybe I'm too harsh, but
> I'm not sure I'm concerned about that.  You're going to be dealing with
> stress on the job sometimes, and if you're a basket case in an interview I'm
> probably going to think the same thing's going to happen in other
> situations.

Well...that depends on the temperament of the poeple involved. I tend to
be a lot more at ease with people I know, so working as a team under a
stressful deadline is a lot different than being in a stressful situation
focused on me.

> I find when I'm looking for a job, the single thing that makes the most
> difference in my stress level is remembering that I'm interviewing them
> every bit as much as they're interviewing me. I want to know if I'm going
> to enjoy working with them, and I'm perfectly willing to grill the people
> on the other side of the table.

I've never really had to find a job in a tight market, so I've never gone into
an interview thinking "I really have to have THIS job".  Between that and
having reasonable communications skills, I haven't had any problems.  I still
hate interviews, though (from either side)...never have really figured out a
good approach to being the interviewer.  Ah well...

Scott

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org