SPUG: HR problems & solutions (off topic)

James Moore james at banshee.com
Fri Nov 16 20:01:04 CST 2001

I've never worked for a non-high-tech company, so your mileage may vary.

HR people have little or no impact on the hiring process once you've got
an interview.  Be completely innocuous with them.  No one  cares about
their opinion, and they have virtually no say in whether or not you get
hired.  In fact, I don't ever recall them even having an opinion to care
about or not.  Their job is to go through fairly simple checklists like
"are you actually willing to move to the city where the job is located?"
and to push paper around to make sure everyone's 401k money goes to the
right place.  It's useful paper pushing, and I'm glad someone other than
me likes to do it, but don't think they're the reason you're going to
get a job or not.  Some places they're heavily involved in the salary
negotiations, but that's only after other people decided they want you.

In a large company, they can slow down or speed up the actual hiring
process once someone else has made a decision.  They're the people who
do things like make sure there's actually an open rec for you to fill.
 But they're only going to turn you down for internal business reasons
(i.e., someone yanked the budget for your position without telling the
hiring manager), not because they think you're (in)competent.

 - James

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org