SPUG: Checking for ASCII files

Daniel Pommert dpommert at bestnet.com
Tue May 15 14:22:30 CDT 2001

On Unix, the standard way is with the file command.
The file command looks through the file until it is able
to come to some decision about what the file type is.  If
it is presented with a new file type (say, weird binary)
it will say it is a text file.  However, it uses a file
called /etc/magic, which you can modify, to decide what
a file is.

So, if you have specific binary files and then everything
else being text, run all of the binary files through the
file command.  If it correctly recognizes all of them,
well and good.  If not, educate the file command by
modifying /etc/magic.

After you have the file command working correctly, you
can run it from Perl to ask whether the file is text or
(known) binary.

I expect that there are also Perl modules on CPAN that will
use /etc/magic to examine and classify a file.  However, I
don't know the specifics.

I hope this helps!

-- Daniel Pommert