SPUG: 3/20 Mtg: Komodo & Regexes

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Mar 20 01:38:30 CST 2001

Here's the final reminder about tomorrow's meeting, featuring
luminaries from ActiveState from up across our Northern border.

NOTE: The next few meetings, including this one, will run from
7:30-9:30 (rather than the usual 7-9pm) due to scheduling issues.
That means we can spend more time at the pre-meeting watering hole,
conducting the really important business of socializing, drinking, and
dining! 8-}

-Tim
|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.           Tel: (206) 781-UNIX        |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader      Email: spug at halcyon.com    |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group   HTTP: www.halcyon.com/spug |

         "Perl, Komodo & Regular Expressions"
        Brian King and Neil Watkiss, Developers
           ActiveState Corp., Vancouver CA

Regular expressions are often the bane of many a programmer.
This talk provides an overview of the Regex debugger in Komodo,
ActiveState's new cross-platform, multi-language, scripting IDE.
The Regex Debugger, goes beyond the simple "matched or not"
feedback available in all current Regex debuggers.  'Rx' is written
in Perl and C and integrated into Komodo using Mozilla's XPCOM
technology. Coming soon to Mozilla, PerlXPCOM will allow you to
write your components directly in Perl.

1. Background: Komodo & Perl
 - A cross platform, multi-language IDE
 - Based on Mozilla
 - Perl debugging, syntax highlighting, auto-completion, etc.

2. Regular Expression Debugger
 - What was missing - Regex debugger
 - Never-before-seen features
 - Decided to write in Perl

3. Rx.pm
 - Based on re.xs (in the Perl core)
 - Mostly written in XS & C, some Perl
 - Exposes the Perl regular expression engine functions
 - Provides information about compilation and execution phases

4. Rx::Info.pm
 - Written completely in Perl
 - Provides an OO API to regular expressions and information

5. Integrating Rx into Komodo
 - An XPCOM component (introduce XPCOM briefly)
 - Written in C++
 - Embeds a Perl interpreter

6. Future of Perl & Mozilla: PerlXPCOM
 - Current status

|  Dr. Tim Maher, CEO, Consultix        (206) 781-UNIX/8649;  ask for FAX# |
|  Email: tim at consultix-inc.com         Web: http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
|  TIM MAHER: Unix/Perl   DAMIAN CONWAY: Adv. Perl   COLIN MEYER: Perl/DBI |
|  *We are currently scheduling On-Site Classes on UNIX and Perl topics!*  |

----- End forwarded message -----

--

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org