SPUG: Re: Happy Birthday to SPUG!

Brian Ingerson BrianI at activestate.com
Mon Mar 19 10:50:20 CST 2001

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 09:28:17PM -0700, Richard Anderson wrote:
>> At the risk of starting a flame war, I would like to differ with
>> Tim's statement that "this is our group".  Actually, Tim has veto
>> power over all SPUG decisions, as he controls the web site and
>> mailing list.
> It's true, I do exercise "Supreme Control" over these things, but
> I try to exercise that in a *benevolent* manner.  For example, I
> have always sought opinions from the membership (the SPUG-list
> subscribers) on important decisions.  You may recall that, for

It's a tricky business trying to lead a group of people with different
ideas and agendas down a road that best fits the needs of the group as a
whole.

I have similar issues on the Inline mailing list. I want everyone
involved to have a say on how Inline progresses, but at the end of the
day, I'm the one who knows what's best for the project.

Perhaps, in a strict sense, it was misleading for Tim to say:

 > This is our group, and we can do whatever we want with it, so if
 > anybody has suggestions about improvements, especially if you're
 > willing to help implement them, let me know!

But I would have said the same thing in his shoes. I think Tim has done
an admirable job of sheparding this bunch of rogue geeks down a pretty
righteous path.

Happy birthday, SPUG!

Cheers, Brian

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org