SPUG: Removing newlines from a multi-line string

Joshua Lanza joshlanza at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:01:09 CST 2001

Hi all,

I have a script that gets a chunk of HTML from an access database and plunks
it into a template.  The problem is that it puts newline characters in the
HTML at the end of every line in the HTML blob, which is (1) unseemly and
(2) making it difficult to manipulate the text after the pages are
generated.

I store the text in $html and then try

        $html =~ s/\n//ig;

but nothing seems to happen.  If this worked it would solve (2) from above
but wouldn't help (1).  I guess what I'm really looking for is why I'm
getting the extra newlines in the first place.  Any thoughts greatly
appreciated,

Josh

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org