SPUG: site clutter

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Thu Jun 21 12:02:04 CDT 2001

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:59:05PM -0700, El JoPe Magnifico wrote:
> (Apologies if this has already been discussed.  I've been off the list
> for the past six months, and haven't been to a meeting in eons. *gulp!*)

We'll expect to see you again on 8/9, when Damian makes his next visit! 8-}

> The front page of the SPUG site is a badly cluttered with old meeting
> blurbs, going back over twelve months.  It would be a good idea to move
> those to a separate page, and just link from a description-less table
> of contents on the front page, if not just from a single link.

Agreed!  And that matter is being addressed, albeit slowly.

> And while I'm on the topic of the website...
>
> Is there any reason not to move it to the pm.org server?  Consistency
> with the other PM's aside, that server has mod_perl, which I'm guessing
> Halcyon's server does not.  =)

Since we're not running any Perl scripts from the site currently,
mod_perl hasn't become an issue.  And despite our PM membership,
full consistency with other PM groups (which came along after
our founding, and "naming") has never been a SPUG priority
(as indicated by our retention of our original name).  Moreover,
there are advantages to maintaining our relationship with halcyon;
e.g., they provide dial-up shell-accounts, which on occasion
we've used to run perl-scripting demos from Windoze boxes during
SPUG meetings.

> An alternative (or companion) would be to move the site to SourceForge,
> which would offer different benefit:
>  * ability to share site admin duties among multiple admins.
>  * a superbly equipped staging ground for group code collaborations;
>    this was discussed at one time, though that was before Vancouver
>    stole Brian Ingerson, who was the main proponent of the idea.

Many of us still think a group coding collaboration would be a fun
project, and once a "champion" for that cause comes forward, I'm
sure we could make some progress on that front.  Any volunteers?
Or do we have to wait until Brian (Mr. Inline.pm) comes back
from Vancouver?

> -jp
>
> PS: I'm baaaaaack...!  =)

I'm back too, from the Database Discovery cruise!

|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.             Tel: (206) 781-UNIX    |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader      Email: spug at halcyon.com  |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group    HTTP: seattleperl.com   |

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org