SPUG: Re: PERL and CORBA

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Thu Jan 11 13:15:01 CST 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 06:58:58PM -0800, Richard Anderson wrote:
> If XML-RPC can do the job, I'd recommend going with it rather than CORBA.
> XML-RPC is an emerging standard, whereas CORBA is getting crusty and has
> some nasty limitations.

I second that!  XML-RPC is *very* easy to use from Perl or many other
common languages.  The technologies involved are simple and common: xml,
http.  The first time I tried XML-RPC, it took about an hour to set up
a (perl based) server that a python program could contact, run code, and
retrieve results from.

SOAP is another RPC like protocol that is quite similar to XML-RPC, but
is a little more complex and difficult to use.  Because of the complexity,
not all SOAP implementations are compatible with eachother.

-C.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org