SPUG: How to make a living with perl(.|?)

Patterson, David S (Pat) davidpa at avaya.com
Sat Feb 10 15:42:57 CST 2001

(Sorry this is late -- email weirdness...)

But, this is an interesting topic.  What actually happens in salary reviews
is
nothing like what I thought it would be when I first came on board permanent
full-time, appx 2 years ago.  I've been through two salary reviews since
then.  The bottom line:  Your best opportunity for affecting your salary is
when you hire on.  After that, your salary raises/bonuses are almost totally
based on how valuable you are to the company.  I.e., if you have to ask for
a raise (as opposed to being offered one) you're probably not as strong an
employee as you could or should be.  If you think you're deserving of a 10%
raise and you get a 2% raise, its time to re-evaluate whether you are really
contributing to the company in the way you want.  In this case, maybe a job
change would be better for everyone concerned?

> 	---
		"Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no
and yes..."

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org