SPUG: Filehandle undefined error

Wegley, Harry L Harry.Wegley at pss.boeing.com
Thu Apr 12 17:46:38 CDT 2001

I just inherited the maintenance of a Perl program that has been running for several years
in a production environment. It began misbehaving a couple of days ago. I cannot seem
to pinpoint the problem. Nothing has changed with regard to this program except for the
input data that causes the text file, $customerList, to be generated. Here's what the
problem section of code does:

 if (! open(CUSTLIST,"< $customerList"))  {
    ... handle the error
}
while (<CUSTLIST>) {

    ...process the file

}
close CUSTLIST;

The program terminates after processing part of the file. The program terminates with the
following error:
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at /bin/glatest.pl line 761, <CUSTLIST> chunk 190.

Line 761 has no obvious relationship with the problem. Does anyone have any idea what kinds
of errors might cause CUSTLIST to become undefined (or otherwise produce the observed error)?

Harry Wegley

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org