SPUG: Extreme Programming Meeting: April 12, Thursday

JALIS,ASIM (HP-FtCollins,ex1) asim_jalis at hp.com
Tue Apr 10 21:03:49 CDT 2001

After the last announcement on SPUG several Perl people asked me
to continue posting these announcements to the Perl list.

At our next meeting this Thursday you will get to try out XP in
real-life. If you've heard about it and are curious to experience
it, join us this Thursday. The coding will be fueled by pizza and
pop provided by the nice people at Lante, Inc. For more details
see below:

EXTREME PROGRAMMING MEETING

TOPIC

"Live Extreme Programming: The Extreme Club"

Much of XP is difficult to communicate in presentations, and can best be
communicated as a direct experience.

And so at this next meeting we will take the bull by the horns and actually
DO some eXtreme Programming. Think of this as the programmers' equivalent of
a Messiah sing-in.

The meeting format is inspired by the London eXtreme Tuesday Club
http://www.xpdeveloper.com/. Here is how it works. People show up with
laptops, ideas and fingers. And then work on them together. Since all the
programming is in pairs only half the people need to bring laptops.

As always the meeting will be fueled by pizza and pop from the nice people
at Lante, Inc.

There are some pictures on the London XTC web-site of programmers huddled
around laptops and giant mugs of beer. And it looks like fun. We'll do a
dry run this time.

The meeting format will be quite different from the normal. It should be
much more interactive, and I expect that it will be quite a bit more fun
than normal too. Instead of being one-to-many it will be a many-to-many
highly enjoyable interaction.

The idea for this came out of a conversation I had with Eric Herman
(ProductSight) and Marcus Richardson (Network Commerce) after the last
meeting.

WEBSITE
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeprogramming-seattle
    To get on the extremeprogramming-seattle mailing-list send a blank
    e-mail message to extremeprogramming-seattle-subscribe at egroups.com.

DATE AND SCHEDULE
    Thursday, April 12, 2001 (second Thursday of the month).
    6.30 pm - 7.00 pm : Pizza + Networking.
    7.00 pm - 9.00 pm : Presentations and Q&A.

LOCATION
    Suite 100, Lante's Main Conference Room
    3180 139th Avenue SE
    Bellevue, WA 98005
    425.564.8800 (main desk)

DIRECTIONS
    I have refactored the directions into two parts. First, how to get to
    139th Ave SE (which depends on which interstate you use) and then how
    to get to 3180 which should be same for all cases:

    STEP 1: How to get to 139th Ave SE

    From I-405 South (going towards I-90) from Bellevue, Redmond.
        * Take exit 10 for Coal Creek Parkway and turn LEFT at the light
          as you get off the ramp onto Coal Creek Parkway.
        * Turn LEFT at Factoria Blvd (128th Av SE).
        * You will cross I-90 by going under it.
        * Turn RIGHT onto Eastgate Way SE, immediately after crossing I-90.
        * Take a LEFT at the light onto 139th Ave SE.

    From I-405 North (going towards I-90) from Renton.
        * Take exit 10 for Coal Creek Parkway and turn RIGHT at the light
          as you get off the ramp onto Coal Creek Parkway.
        * Turn LEFT at Factoria Blvd (128th Av SE).
        * You will cross I-90 by going under it.
        * Turn RIGHT onto Eastgate Way SE, immediately after crossing I-90.
        * Take a LEFT at the light onto 139th Ave SE

    From I-90 West (going towards I-405) from Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond.
        * Take the 161st Ave SE/156th Ave SE/150th Ave SE exit (exit 11).
        * Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp.
        * Keep RIGHT at the fork in the ramp.
        * Turn LEFT onto SE Eastgate Way.
        * Turn RIGHT onto 139th Ave SE.

    From I-90 East (going towards I-405) from Seattle, Mercer Island.
        * Take the Richards Road exit (exit 10).
        * Take a LEFT at the light off the exit ramp onto Richards Rd.
        * You will drive under I-90 crossing it.
        * Take the first RIGHT onto SE Eastgate Way.
        * Take a LEFT at the light onto 139th Ave SE

    STEP 2: How to find 3180 on 139th Ave SE

    * Drive past the turn for SE 32nd St.
    * 3180 will be the first building on your RIGHT.
    * You will notice a parking entrance into the building on your RIGHT.
    * Drive into it and then drive up the parking garage to the top
      (the 4th floor) which has uncovered parking.
    * Park anywhere (parking is free).
    * The building entrance should be straight ahead and there will be
      signs pointing to the XP meeting.

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org