SPUG: cgi help

Daryn Nakhuda daryn at marinated.org
Fri Apr 6 01:34:42 CDT 2001

> I still say that the "correct" solution is to return an identifying
> token which will allow the visitor to get the query results once
> they're available. (Of course, doing things the "correct" way isn't
> always worth the extra effort.)

>From a usability standpoint, it may be confusing to the end user to have a
situation where they get a token that they can use for retrieving the
results later, especially if we're merely talking 30 seconds, versus 2 hours
or something. Perhaps more "correct" would be to have an interstitial (sp?)
page, like expedia or some of the other travel sites do, so that you see
something, regardless of browser, while the query is running. there are
numerous ways to do this, and it can be as smart or as dumb as you want it
to be. . .

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org

     POST TO: spug-list at pm.org       PROBLEMS: owner-spug-list at pm.org