SPUG: building perl under windows w/free compiler

Steffen Beyer sb at sdm.de
Fri Sep 29 05:01:38 CDT 2000

Hello Showell30 at aol.com, in a previous mail you wrote:

> Has any one built Perl under Windows 98 with a free compiler?  I want to use
> Data::Locations, and I have been told that ActiveState has not compiled a
> binary for the module that is compatible with its Perl 5.6 binary.  I don't
> have cash to buy my own copy of Visual C++.  I think my best option is to
> find a free compiler and build my own Perl, but I wonder what pitfalls that
> solution may have.
> Thanks,
> Steve
> P.S.  Sorry if this is common query--deja.com is overloaded tonight.

Another possible solution would be if anybody had ActivePerl 5.6 as well as
MS VC++ 6.0, he could build the module, pack together the build directory
(with "blib" subdirectory and all) and send it to you.

Unfortunately I don't use ActivePerl myself (but I have MS VC++ 6.0).
How much time does it cost to install it?
(I have virtually no free time at the moment, alas, otherwise I'd do it)

Regards,
--
    Steffen Beyer <sb at engelschall.com>
    http://www.engelschall.com/u/sb/whoami/ (Who am I)